Sunday, October 27, 2019

When we're helping...we're happy!

This week was a hodgepodge of things. We helped Irma plant her garden. She planted tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and different kinds of seasoning herbs. We also helped her plant several kinds of fruit trees. Irma is the live in caretaker for Mr. Roberts and he isn't a well man and she has a lot on her plate so we were happy to get to help her out just a little.

The ground was very much clay and filled with little tiny black ants. If you stand still for one second you will have ants crawling all over you. It nearly drove me crazy as I had on sandals and Capri shorts. When we were done planting most of everything I got myself out and on to the road where the ants aren't so bad. If someone wanted to have a very effective torture device, all they would need to do is make you stand still in this garden and have the ants crawl all over you. it's making me crazy just writing about it.

Another day we spent the morning in immigration for the last time with Leana. We got her final stamp for her visa extension. We got her a suitcase and the Allman's, a past senior couple here, sent her some money to help her get a few of the things she'll need in Utah especially for the winter. We are hoping Christian will receive his call this week. We completed the temple preparation class with them both today. Leana is the first missionary from Tobago! It's been such a wonderful privilege to help her get ready to serve the Lord.

Dave spent many hours on the computer and on the phone working on getting the "fleet" all identified and accounted for. He is making great progress.  I spend many hours working on the mission's newsletter that is due at the first of  November and getting other mission apartment's renewal documents generated and sent out. We did a lot of that in the quiet condo while they are still jack hammering over ours.

Saturday, we decided to try snorkeling again and drove around the island. As we were doing so, I was reminded of how blessed we are to be here in this beautiful place. Experiencing so many things and learning, changing, growing and becoming more like our Savior. That is the hope and prayer each day of why we are here.

Today after church, I overheard Sister George offer to come over to Irma's home to sing and pray with her and give Mr. Roberts a blessing. My heart was bursting! After she left, Irma turned to me and said "will you be there? I don't want to leave you out."  I thanked her and told her it would be best if we weren't because we don't get to stay and it's important for her to bond with these good people without us. I so hope they do.

 Getting to hold a sweet baby girl. Maleah
 Dave with Maleah's older brother Cadell
 The view from the quiet condo while the condo above our condo is getting jack hammered...yes, I know, it's a hard duty for us to be here... :)
 Planting...
 planting with ants....ants....ants...ants....
 progress
 Dave and Irma
 They have a very large area
 Dave helping Mr. Roberts back to the car
 We took a lovely late afternoon stroll along the beach.
 I found a set of footprints I was duplicating their stride. 
 Some of the views around the island. It is said often that "pictures do not do it justice" that is certainly the case here. 

 There are little villages in almost every cove as you go around the island. 
 This one has lots of sail boats. 

 This is a view of Scarborough. She doesn't know it yet, but I'm trying to get a good picture so I can commission  my daughter Emilie to do a watercolor painting for me.... Em...what do you think? I want a palm tree in the foreground though. I'll keep working on getting a better shot.
 I've fallen in love with pelicans. They are fun to watch as they circle around looking for fish...
 then they spot something...
 and dive straight down!
 Then they pop up and float for a while. It's great to watch. 
 a few snorkeling pictures. It's not the best camera and it wasn't the clearest visibility this day, 
still very enjoyable. 

 This is a trumpet fish

cool fish...google couldn't help me identify it....
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tender Mercies

This will be the last tale I will be recording of our Trinidad Port of Spain Mission. I will begin with the 34 hour travel time to get back ...