Saturday, February 9, 2019

Are we having fun? Yes!

Monday was one of the best days ever! Our cute little seminary students suggested that they teach us how to make Roti. We thought it was a great idea. So, we had a shortish lesson and then they proceeded to teach us how to make roti.  You pour almost a whole pound of flour in a bowl and add some baking powder and enough water to make a dough. It takes quite a bit of kneading but we got that all done. Then you make tennis ball size lumps of dough and you roll them out quite thin, add more flour if they start sticking. Then when you get them thin enough you split them down the middle and rip them apart, leaving the last inch connected, then you start at one end and roll them up together as one continuous strip. Then you tuck each end in at the top and bottom and roll them in your hands to make beautifully formed balls. Then you push in the middle on both ends so they look like really fat bagels and set aside to rest. After 10 or 15 minutes you rolled them out again into perfect circles that look like tortillas and cook them on a pan that is just a round heavy metal disk (it has a name but I forgot what it was) that you put on the burner of the stove. You turn them and rub oil on each side and turn them again until they are golden brown. Now comes the really fun part. You take them off the pan and fold them in quarters and then you "clap" them. Meaning you clap them between your hands until they are falling apart! Then you fold them up again and you have a roti! You eat them with some kind of stew or bean mixture, so Dave brought some of his chili and we ate it with that. You put a serving of chili on your plate and then you tear pieces of the roti off and scoop up the chili with your hands. It was so delicious and so fun to do with these kids. They raved about Dave's chili which made him very happy. It was a great time!
Tuesday we had a very wonderful district meeting with our amazing missionaries! I am so impressed with these young men and their devotion to our Heavenly Father and Savior. They work hard and love much! After that, the Relief Society Presidency met and we talked about ministering. We have around 147 sisters on the rolls with 110 unassigned ministering sisters, and maybe 20 come to church on a semi regular basis, so there is lots of work to do. We talked about how we could use the strong sisters to reach out and hopefully love other sisters back into activity. We talked about how important it was for the Presidency to try to visit each sister to let her know she is missed and loved. They made plans to go out visiting and contact at least 7 sisters each month. It's a huge undertaking with the large number of less active sisters, the distance of the branch area and the lack of resources to travel etc. They are strong women with strong testimonies and I know they are up for the challenge and I know that our Heavenly Father with help them succeed. After that we had seminary. We sang " I know that My Redeemer Lives" when we finished the hymn, my cute Sunita said very reverently "that was so tender. I can really feel the Spirit" and Renese said she could feel it too. I was so grateful for that sweet moment and the outpouring of the Holy Ghost testifying of our Savior. We had a great discussion as well. It's kind of sad that it takes some time before you feel like you are making a connection with people and then you have to go. But I told them I would be watching them on Facebook and we will be forever friends!
Wednesday, we went to Hanif and Molly's to talk about going to the temple and what we needed to do to get them there. The church has an amazing program to help get people to the temple that would never be able to do it with the resources they have available to them. I am so grateful for all the members of this church that give so generously so programs like this can bless so many people's lives. We got everything lined up with the paper work and now we need to go to Georgetown..(oh the terror!) to get the passports submitted. (I'm writing this on Thursday, so I will continue the story tomorrow, if we make it there and back without dying! I know I'm always bemoaning and complaining about driving but the struggle is REAL!)
We stayed at home until we had to teach seminary today and we have had water from 6 am until now as I'm writing this at 9:30 pm! I had to keep going over to the sink and turning the handle just to see if water came out. I am in shock actually. I'm not sure if I can believe it but it has been SO nice to turn on the tap and water runs out of the faucet! I can't tell you what that does to my emotional sense of well being. If it's not a fluke and is now as it should be, I'll be able to take a shower, do my dishes, do my laundry, wash my hands and flush the toilet when ever I want and not have to time it with when we have water. Maybe we can even only have one bottle of water in the fridge instead of twelve and no more containers by the toilet. I think I can hear a chorus of angels singing Hallelujah! Maybe I passed a test....I told Dave we wouldn't leave Guyana until I could be grateful and pleasant with all of the inconveniences, which I feel I have accomplished to a certain degree. I'm sorry to say we would never leave if I have to change how I feel about the roads and the driving! Although, I can say my level of astonishment and outrage has lessened and my level of acceptance has improved. So perhaps that's a passing of a test as well. (No water at 9:45 but I am still feeling joyful!)
Friday we took off for Georgetown at 8 am and arrived at the immigration office at 10:30 and waited in one of the many lines we would wait in during the day. By 2:30 we were done! I'm not sure if I can explain to you the process but unbeknownst to us, Haniff and Molly both had previous passports which makes the procedure a little different. So after waiting in one line for a time and having Dave sign that he witnessed these people were who they said they were, we were told we then had to go and find a Justice of the Peace to write an affidavit that they had lost their long expired passports.
Finding somewhere in Guyana is a unique experience. We were given the name of the Justice of the Peace and told we could walk there from the immigration office. Go down a ways, turn left and then another left and you can ask anybody you see and they will tell you. So, we set out. We walked a ways and then turned left and walked some more. We got to the corner where we were to turn left again and started to ask people that were outside of buildings. " We're looking for a Justice of the Peace, do you know where he is?"  the responses we got were "no" or  "you have to go down a little more and ask,"or I think it's in this area" finally  we found someone that actually knew where he was and gave us pretty good directions. We had to go to a completely different street several blocks away and ask again and we were then told to go down this long alley and we saw the sign "Justice of the Peace"  They went through all the questions about the lost passports, we paid them a fee and we were on our way again back to immigration to wait in another line. We were at last called back and paid the fee and then were told that Dave shouldn't have signed on the place as a witness that Haniff was who he said he was, it needed to be another Guyanese native. So, now Haniff has to come back to Georgetown after he has had our branch President sign as a witness on a paper before he will receive his passport. I was going to put an explanation point behind all that but even as we were waiting and wandering down streets and waiting some more and then being told the paper they told Dave to sign should not have been signed, even with all of that, there was not a feeling of exasperation or impatience. We knew we were on the Lord's errand and you don't feel frustration when that is the purpose. It really was a remarkable feeling and experience. We love this family deeply and really would do anything we could to help them.
We get home around 4:30 and discovered that our AC is broken and we have no internet! If you remember about the internet, it was too long of a process to get internet connected to the apartment and so we were having to go 20 minutes to the church for internet. Dave had the brilliant idea ( I"m not being sarcastic, it was brilliant) to ask our downstairs neighbors if we could pay them to piggy back on their internet. So it has worked wonderfully for Dec. and Jan. We just paid her for Feb on the 1st. When we didn't see her site pop up on available addresses, Dave went down to ask her about it and found out from another neighbor that she had moved out! We always ask before we paid her if she was planning on staying the whole month, which she said she was. We were just a wee bit upset!! There you see a few explanation points!!  I called our landlord to see if we could get her number to (give her a piece of my mind) to talk with her and he mentioned that she did ask him to pay us out of her deposit. I thought that was very good of her and repented of my unkind thoughts about her. So, until we can figure out another way to get internet for the few more weeks we are here, we are back at the church which has a pretty good internet and AC.
Hilariously though, the power just went off at the church.....no AC and no internet......I am chuckling!  not sure for how long I'll chuckle....it will depend on how long there is no power.
Another lovely thing (I am being sarcastic) when we got up this morning the water was on but it was chocolate brown! Yes, another exclamation point! Dave was in the shower and well you can imagine the sense of unpleasantness of having muddy water flowing over your body as you are trying to get clean. I'm thankful for the beautiful day that we had semi clean water flowing into our home for almost 15 hours.
Being in Guyana has taught us that we can adapt and adjust to unexpected things and still function as productive human beings and members of the Church. I have had to give up trying to look beautiful with my hair done, make-up on, fancy clothes or shoes. I just concentrate on trying to stay clean and not sticky. Perhaps if I wasn't a missionary and if I lived here for awhile longer I may find a way to do that because the people here most often look very lovely, hair, make-up and fancy clothes and shoes.
 I felt like I wanted a hair cut so I found a hair salon and walked in. I asked if she could cut my hair. I was super nervous. I sat down and she combed my hair all straight down with out wetting it and then she proceeded to cut anything that was sticking out....after a few cuts I said "I think that should be fine" paid her and then went home to check out the damage. My vanity is pretty much gone and I'll just smile and try to be as lovely as I can without my usual pampering opportunities.

As far as chocolate water, no AC and no internet, We will soldier on!!!

The power just came on at the church. It was only an hour without it!

I'm excited for the plans we have for next week! We are going to go to the Kaiteur Falls with some of the other senior couples!

Our darling seminary students! from left: Sunita, Esha, Sasha, Renese, Me and Rocklee in the back.
Rolling out the dough. We didn't have a rolling pin so luckily there was a roll of plastic wrap at the church and a bottle of water to use to roll them out. Adapting and adjusting. Look at that beautiful rolled roti on the plate. Mine never did end up looking like that.
The one I rolled is the far right one. You can see the difference. I need way more practice.
Dave made one and it turned out beautiful! 
We made 11 roti balls! starting left: Me, Sasha, Sunita, Esha, Renese, Rocklee, Dave
Cooking the roti on the pan....wish I could remember the name.
Darling Sunita and a golden brown roti
Poor Rocklee got the hot job of clapping fresh off the pan rotis. He did a great job!
Enjoying the fruits of our labor!
Had to get Dave in the moment too!
Most of the people here do not own cars so one of the ways they transport things is on their bikes. This man is carrying three sheets of this aluminum sheeting! They carry 20 lbs bags of rice, large containers of water, we see bikes with sometimes three people on them. They work so hard and are so creative with solving problems.
This is the alley that we finally found the Justice of the Peace.
We woke up to this....
and this....

and this....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tender Mercies

This will be the last tale I will be recording of our Trinidad Port of Spain Mission. I will begin with the 34 hour travel time to get back ...