Sunday, June 9, 2019

Your ability is enough

I'm writing this record to remember our mission but I think I need to record daily because I'm having a difficult time remembering the week that has passed, like now...what even happened this week? Oh, it's coming back to me. I haven't been feeling well.

When we applied for our mission we requested a humid area for my air way breathing problems, which we definitely got humidity. Six weeks or so back I've been noticing that I was really struggling to breathe so I'd use my portable humidifier which really didn't make a difference. We tried to locate one here on the island and they'd look at us funny cause who needs a humidifier on a very humid island? I noticed a while later that it really wasn't my airway that was causing the labored breathing it was my lungs. My lungs were heavy and painful and I was so exhausted with hardly any energy to do anything. I had heard about some people developing a condition or something on their missions that stayed with them their whole lives so then I worried about that. Dave and I wondered even if we should be reassigned. I messaged our children and asked them to join us in fasting and praying to know what to do. They then suggested to go to the doctor, which honestly I didn't consider, being in a foreign country etc. We were able to get into a doctor in Trinidad during our trip there for Zone Conference. A lung X-ray , EKG and blood work were done and everything checked out fine. With  that information, knowing I don't have some kind of COPD developing, I can just continue to acclimatize here on the island and I'm confidant I will be good to continue our mission. I did need to come to grips that I am not a young sister missionary with lots of energy and that the Lord is pleased with whatever I can do to serve and I shouldn't let my limitations over take my joy.

Senior couple missions are totally different from the young Elders or Sister missionaries. The only rules we have are: Keep the Commandments and don't do anything to lose your temple recommend. Other than that, you really just make it up as you go seeing what needs to be done and doing it. They really can be as busy and involved as you want or are able. You can rest if you need to and explore the local sites. You can face-time with family as often as you'd like. Your family and friends can visit. You can determine how long you want to be gone; 6, 9, 12, 18, or 23 months. We need senior missionary couples or single Sisters presences in branches and wards all over the world. The current senior missionary participation level is only 30% of the needs of the Church. We need them to mentor new inexperienced local leaders and help them become self sustaining. We need them to show how to minister. We need them to teach music in primaries. We need them to love and teach the youth and young single adults, so the future of the Church will be in good hands. We need senior couples in so many other ways too.

You could choose to snow bird on an island in the Caribbean instead of St George for 6 months and make a huge lasting difference in building the kingdom and helping make disciples of Jesus Christ. Imagine sitting on your porch in your rocking chairs reminiscing about your life and talking about your adventures and experiences in loving and changing peoples lives for the better rather than your golf game or how many cruises you've been on. If you are concerned about leaving children and grandchildren, you are promised that the Lord will take care of them much better than if you were there. You really can go for 6 months at a time and you will stand all amazed at how much you will be able to do with the Lord's help in doing the Lord's work in just 6 short months. Along with helping build the kingdom, you will find yourself becoming more like the Savior in how you think, speak, act and love. Your relationship with your spouse with be refined and you can learn how to become a celestial couple. You will love and treasure this time together. It is a blessing, privilege and honor to wear the name of Jesus Christ over your heart for all to see, and attempt to give back a small offering for all He has done for you.
I hope I have encouraged you all sufficiently that you are ready to get out here and help! 

We taught the second missionary discussion to Angie and Rocky. We challenged her to a baptism date of June 22nd. She said she would think and pray on it. 

Thursday: We flew into Trinidad. Went to the doctor for 3 hours, which included 4 different attempts to get blood....I just had an invigorating thought: When we are resurrected and perfected, we will never have to have blood draws anymore because we won't have blood! That is a happy thought!

Zone Conference was great as always. Our mission is getting smart phones for the young missionaries, so it was all about that and training and preparing them for that privilege. Technology is a very powerful tool in building the Kingdom and is inspired by God but as in most things that are good ie: money, loving relations, food, entertainment etc. Satan also uses them for destructive ends so we do need to prepare and plan how to deal with things that may come our way.

Sunday: I was notified I was speaking in Sacrament meeting late Saturday. Before my mission this would have kept me up all night but now I just get a few thoughts in my mind and pray and get up and speak. I don't claim to be a great speaker but I can discuss a few thoughts, feelings and testify and feel like I did alright. I spoke for 12 minutes and then the only child, a 3 year old boy, in the branch decided to have a melt down and I could see no one was listening anymore and it was time to close.
After church we had our 2nd branch counsel which went fairly well, we think they are starting to understand the purpose. Then we went to administer the Sacrament to Sister Henry. We took Bro. and Sis. George with us. On the way there Sister George realized that Sister Henry hadn't been getting the Sacrament since the last senior couple was here 2 years ago. I think she felt bad about that and suggested that this needed to continue to be done after we are gone. "Perhaps we could take turns weekly" she said. We do need the men leadership to be involved with this but the concept of the branch taking ownership is huge.  Hallelujah! Yes! Missionaries are only there to support not take over. What a break through for this little branch!
 Zone Conference. These gatherings give us such a boost! I probably should have put my shoes on...
 Have to do the goofy shots!
 This was NOT fun! The Doctor was very sorry to have hurt me. 
She told me this doesn't happen to her, ever!

 These trees are in bloom now!  So stunning!

 We came upon another fort to explore


 This is where buck shot was made
 Another lovely secluded beach

 Our kids will be visiting us in January and I think this may be a fun place to jump off....after we explore it and make sure it's safe. I probably won't do it but I can see a few of them trying it....maybe
 We love creatures!
 This is a crab shell. Just like we outgrow our clothes...crabs outgrow their shells.
 So amazing! The crabs are black before. 

 Just. So. Cool!
 This isn't yet ripe to eat and belongs to one of the missionaries. We will need to get one and try it.

Every where we see these flowers, we see these caterpillars. 
These caterpillars were 6 inches long. I kid you not! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tender Mercies

This will be the last tale I will be recording of our Trinidad Port of Spain Mission. I will begin with the 34 hour travel time to get back ...