Sunday, May 19, 2019

Unremarkable?

Another week gone by and as I was thinking over the week I thought to myself...this has been a pretty unremarkable week, meaning nothing really remarkable or noteworthy took place but as I thought about it some more I realized that there is not one day in our life that is unremarkable. Every single day we have another chance to make it "right" with God. Every single day we get to begin again to become what we so wish and desire to become. Every single day we get to love anyone we want to, regardless if they love us or even acknowledge us. Every single day we get to make a difference some where in some place to some one even if it's just ourselves. Every single day we can find one little or big thing to be grateful for. So, it has been a remarkable week!

We got to visit with a few people we haven't met yet, not sure if they will decide to come back to Church but at least they know someone was searching for them.
Dave did a few service projects that 62 year old Senior missionaries probably shouldn't do but he has a hard time saying "no"  He dug some fence post holes with a only a shovel for Sister Cupid and he continued to cut down the tree that he and the Winchesters had started a few weeks back.
I went through each apartment contract, 54 of them and made 54 charts to keep one in each apartment with the contact info for the landlords and utility responsibilities as well as inventory for each apartment. It was helpful to see what apartment furnishings the missions owns and which ones are owned by the landlords. When we terminate the lease we need to know what we can remove from the apartments and what is left behind. It felt really good to feel like I have gotten a better handle on this assignment and feel like I can find and answer questions as they arise. We've had to terminate a few apartments in Guyana and Trinidad and I've had to rely heavily on the Senior couples there to notify the landlords as well as clean out the apartments and find places for all of the furnishings and appliances that belong to the mission. It's a pretty big deal and I'm so grateful for their willingness and dedication to serving in any way since we're not able to do any of it from Tobago.
Dave has been and continues to be a great partner in this endeavor with the housing. I would still be curled up in a ball sobbing if he wasn't around to help me make sense of it and show me how to do a spread sheet and an Excel chart and really even to know how many cool things the computer can do if you know about them. When Pres. Baird gave this assignment to me 3 months ago, he said it would be just a temporary holding spot until another Senior couple was assigned to Guyana so I thought I would just do the best I could but it doesn't look like help is coming any time soon. We have lost 4 sets of fantastic Senior couples from this mission in the last 2 months and we miss them very much!  Point is: Now that the learning curve has passed, my confidence with this assignment has grown, so how ever long I get to do it will be just fine.
Today is Sunday, I always post on Sunday. Today the Branch President was at church before us with the AC on and the organ playing! There were 25 of us today! The praising through music sounded like angels had joined us it was so joyful! The partaking of the Sacrament was sweet and powerful! The talks were great!  Our Branch Pres. spoke about Salvation and how every one is responsible for THEIR own Salvation. If you sin, you are responsible for the consequences of those sins. If you get offended and stop coming to Church, you are responsible for that, not the Church, not any others. YOU! It was very powerful. I believe everyone was happy to be there and felt loved! We are feeling like we "kind of " belong and we know it will get better and better.
 These sisters weren't at Church for Mother's Day so I gave them their flower pins today
 The AC for the upstairs of the Church hasn't worked for months, so Dave had them come and got it taken care of. Sister George, the Primary Pres. thanked Elder Weeks profusely! 
 The capacitor had over heated and melted and extruded out like one of those snake bombs 
we had as a child.  I loved those!
 Setting a post
 There is tons to eat on the ground....those must be some tasty leaves
 Sister Cupids home. Most places have these large black water tanks.
 Sister Cupid and a few of her new fence posts
 We took a drive to see sister Dookran that lives an hour away from the Church. It's a beautiful drive.
 The beaches don't seem to be invaded by the seaweed here
 We still haven't made it all the way around the Island yet, but every curve has different views
 Pictures just don't let you see what you can see. Come to Tobago!
 This is Sister Dookran's home. She is the Relief Society Pres. She is dying of congestive heart failure. She has no electricity and only a water tank for water. 
We had a lovely visit and we talked a great deal about the Plan of Happiness. 
 This is the Blue Crowned Motmot. It's image is on the $5 TT bill.
Enjoying a crab for lunch


On our morning walk I notice this bird just standing still. I walked up to it and it still didn't fly away.

 It hopped up on my finger. I couldn't tell if it was wounded or maybe sick
 It was so docile Dave held it too. We put it down and finished our walk. When we came back it had only moved a few feet and I felt like maybe it was too weak to get water so I walked it over to a nice wet spot. I hope that was helpful to the little thing.
 Sister Winchester's cousin came to help with the tree cutting
 Unfortunately, the concrete slab that supported the water tank broke in half and the tank crashed into the house breaking apart. This had nothing to do with the tree, it just happened at the same time.
 These pretty little things were outside our place. They are Blue-winged parrotlets.
This was a week for birds, nice birds this time. 

Can you even believe the size of this avocado?!!! It was very scrumptious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tender Mercies

This will be the last tale I will be recording of our Trinidad Port of Spain Mission. I will begin with the 34 hour travel time to get back ...