Sunday, March 10, 2019

Saying Goodbye...

This has been quite a busy, emotional week for us. Knowing this is our last week here in Guyana and our last week with these darling people.
Tuesday we taught the second temple class and we were hoping to teach one more on Thursday but the Emamudins weren't able to come so it didn't happen. We had our last YSA with the group here on Friday. Dave got 5 pizzas and some drinks and we had a good message from Andy and then we just ate and visited (gaffed). We had some good laughs as we talked about all the expressions of the Guyanese people. Here are a few:
When you walk by someone and say: Good morning, or good afternoon. the reply is usually; "araht araht or yea yea." Guyanese people say "Good night" as a greeting rather than a farewell. If they are mad at you they are "vexed" at you. When you want to visit someone at their home, you go up to the house and outside of the yard you yell "inside, inside" then if they are home they come to the door. When you ask someone to come and do something or ask them how long it will be they say "just now, just now" which could mean anything from 5 minutes to an hour or more. When you want people to bring something with them like their scriptures you asked them to "walk with them" If they need to know what time they say "what o'clock?" When you ask someone how they are they say "I tryin" When they are explaining an event they say "me tell she tha me n know what he tell she" meaning: I told her that I didn't know what he told her. Chatting and talking is called "gaffing or gaff" for example "we just gaffed or we were just gaffing" If there is a lot of something they say " it's plenty, plenty" If you are asking directions they say " go more down, down an ax anyone n they'll tell ye"
 It's really delightful and even though we have been here for 4 months, it's still a bit of a challenge to understand everything that is said but oh how we want to understand it all. When anyone, especially the children were talking to me I wanted to get every word. I feel that way when my grandchildren talk to me. I don't want to miss anything they are trying to tell me or share with me.
Saturday we worked getting everything packed and everything cleaned. Cleaning involves a couple loads of laundry and bed sheets which have to be hung out to dry hoping it all will dry quickly so you can get it packed and cleaning the large rugs without a vacuum, only a broom, sweeping "plenty, plenty' sand from the floors and then mopping, super cleaning the showers and toilets and cleaning out all the cupboards etc.  That afternoon Pres. Ramdeholl called and asked me to give a brief history on the Relief Society for the branch'es Relief Society birthday celebration. It was to begin as 5 pm. I prepared my remarks and then I drove to the church for 5. Did you get that? I drove! Dave was still working on getting packed since we can only have 50lbs per bag and we only have two bags to check plus our carry on so it's quite a process to get that to work. So he stayed home and I drove. I was a little nervous cause I knew I would be coming home in the dark but I prayed and it seems like the few times I have driven, there is very little traffic on the road, which was the case this night too. Praise the Lord! When I got to the church and Elder Weeks wasn't with me everyone asked me "Sister Weeks, did you drive?" I know, so amazing! I arrived at a few minutes before 5 and It didn't begin until 6:40. I wasn't going to go at all but then the Pres. called and so I thought well, ok, from 5 to 7, I can take a break from working and then come and finish later....well, I hated to do it but I left after I gave my little part. I didn't want to have to do any cleaning or much work on the Sabbath.
Sunday....our last Sunday in this sweet little branch. We got to speak and say our goodbyes. Dave made a huge pot of his veggie chili and a very large chocolate cake and we had asked a few sisters to make some Roti. So, there was "plenty, plenty" of food. There were about 68 people there. Not everyone wanted to try Dave's chili because it is quite different from the food that is usually eaten but those that did really enjoyed it and asked for his recipe. We got and gave lots of hugs and shed tears. Being here has been such a learning experience. Learning things we never expected to learn. Being here has been such a blessing, a blessing of love, friendship and being able to serve a people who are generous and humble. We have been taught by them and we are forever changed because we were here.
What have we learned from being in Guyana? I've learned that there are good and dear people all over the world, members and non members. I've learned that these good people have incredible hardship and scarcity in their lives and yet they create ways to survive and even help each other a long the way. I've learned that the gospel of Jesus Christ is the best way to make a hard life easier to bear and more meaningful. I've learned that education is critical for a society to progress and get better. I've learned that tradition is hard to break, such as rarely starting things on time and everyone just expects it and accepts it. I've learned that rules and the enforcement of rules makes a society safe and enjoyable and without rules, it is scary chaos. I've learned that living in the USA is a privilege and blessing that most people who live there do not appreciate, even with it's problems, it's a pretty amazing country. I've learned that the Lord created a whole bunch of different fruits and vegetables that are yummy and not so yummy and that some people eat some pretty unique things. I learned that even though you can't communicate with words, a smile and a hug speak volumes of love. There is an  elderly Eastern Indian lady with no teeth that sits at her little shop that we walk by sometimes daily down in the market where the church is. We would catch each other's eye and smile. Just the last few weeks I have stopped and given her a hug. One time Dave walked by without me and she asked where I was and so he gave her a hug too. It is truly a blessing and such a joyful feeling to share a moment of acknowledgement and love between us. I have learned that we shouldn't let those chances pass us by.

 We are leaving Guyana...
 Have to put a flower picture in
 Sister Haake and I. She has been a dear friend to me and I will miss her!
 The steps we walked up many many times to our apartment. This is when I felt my age.
 Our "ride" for 4 months. We definitely needed the four wheel drive to get around here. 
This last week we had two flat tires. 
 The traffic going into MacKenzie from Wismar across the bridge. We left at 5:15 to get to our 6 pm temple class and what should have taken only 15 minutes took us 45 minutes and we arrived right at 6pm to the church.
 This is the reason for the traffic. 
A random marching band that stopped traffic going to and from the bridge for over an hour.
 These are two of the dedicated, hard working missionaries struggling to bike  on 
bumpy, thick sandy roads. 
 This is the Bohnes. They are the humanitarian couple here in Guyana. They came to Linden to see if there are some projects they can help with in connection to the Self Reliance program of the church.
 We found another fruit! This is a Sopapilla
 It isn't ripe and is not good to eat when it is not ripe. It makes your mouth stick together cause it sucks out all of the moisture. It's like you sucked on pine sap or glue. 
Not a very pleasant experience. I hope we can taste a ripe one sometime.
 We said "Good bye " to these fabulous missionaries we have had the honor of working with.
Elder Lewis, Elder Bigelow, Elder Holman and Elder Moracca
This is the Linden, Guyana Branch. There were actually people here that we have never seen before. but most of the usual members were there and some had already gone before the picture. TJ, Godfrey, Romeo, Bro. Hoodith, Lisa, Sarah, Molly, Nafur, Bro. Ramdeholl, Sasha, Sunita, Elder Morocca, Rockly, Sarah, Rebekah, Pennie, Amos, Sis. King, Robert, Susan, Alice, Manouska, Sis. Ramdeholl, Pamela, Phil, Roydale, Elder Bigelow, Joel, Renese, Haniff, Bro. Hussein, Elder Holman, Elder Lewis, Bro. John, Ronaldo, Joshua, Aaron, Romario, Esha, Colis, Adrianna, Romeo. This faces will always have a tender spot in our hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tender Mercies

This will be the last tale I will be recording of our Trinidad Port of Spain Mission. I will begin with the 34 hour travel time to get back ...