Monday, December 24, 2018

All is right!

I had to post again because of the tender mercies of the Lord. Today, Christmas Eve, we purchased food stuffs for five families in our branch. Three single mothers, Robert, who just got baptized and basically lives off the land and Phil, an 18 year old boy who is another recent convert that lives alone with his ailing mother. It took some time to gather it all together and then we went to deliver it.
There were hugs and tears and "Merry Christmases" Some very sweet exchanges. When we went to Phil's house, which is one room no bigger than a normal size bedroom in an average American home, He wasn't home but we found his mother sitting on the steps eating some rice. Her name is Lattesha, We told her we had some Christmas food for her. Tears came to her eyes and I hugged her. She wrapped her arms around me and just started to sob and held on tight. I sobbed right along with her. I felt like she probably hadn't been held for a very long time.
 Nothing against her son Phil, but what 18 year old boy hugs their mother on a regular basis? Plus, he is in charge of her every need. Do all the laundry in the river etc.  He is really a very nice, sincere young man.  I believe she has Parkinson's because her hands are shaking all the time.
After we left, I was just overcome with all of the hardship and scarcity that is all around, every where I look. I realize that this is what these people know and they eek out a living the best they can. Here it is Christmas Eve and people were still selling from their make shift stands, trying to get money for Christmas. We bought as much as we could from them. Eggs, carrots, pineapple,tomatoes, and potatoes.
When we got back to our apartment I was overcome again and had to crawl up in bed and just sob...like ugly crying sobs. It was a good release. Dave held me and I said I wanted to go back to Lattesha's and read to her or something. I couldn't stand to think of her alone most of the time in that little shack, no water, no electricity, and shaking and hurting.
So we did! We got Dave's lap top and drove back over the bridge and down the sandy, bumpy road. We got there and she was just sitting in her hammock in the room. We watched the first part of the Presidents Devotional with the beautiful lights of Temple Square and the beautiful music of the Tabernacle choir. Dave and I each held a hand of Lattesha's.  The hand I held was constantly shaking. I tried to hold it tight enough to give her some relief from the shaking but it still shook. Then I starting to squeeze her hand and then move up and squeeze her forearm, up and back, up and back. That seemed to stop the shakes. Maybe I gave the nerves something to distract them so they didn't shake. I was happy to give her some relief for how ever long I could. When the choir and congregation sang Silent Night, we sang too. It was truly one of the sweetest things to be singing about the birth of our Savior while trying to do some loving for Him.  Then we watched the Nativity and said a prayer with her. She said "you comin back tomorrow?" We said we would. Since we are away from the people we love most at Christmas, this was a pretty good way to spend our time.
We got home and we had water so I took a shower. Usually the water is room temperature even with the little heater we have on the shower head, So cold showers are the norm. Dave figured out how to get hot water by only turning the water on enough to let it get warm and even hot! So, I let some nice hot water run on me for longer than usual, because I do hate to waste water. It felt so good.
When I got out of the shower, I checked my phone and "what to my wondering eyes should appear?" but a Maro Polo message from Nate and Brianna! I opened it up and heard the notes of "The Nativity Song"  you know "this is the season..." and I started bawling again...this is the song we would sing at all our family Christmas parties and I had stickers for them to correspond with the lyrics. There our sweet grand children were on the floor with their fisher price nativity singing at the top of their voices and pointing to each piece! We were so touched by this sweet gesture of love and remembrance. we were both weeping. After our time with Lattesha and that song. We were alright! All is Well, all is bright!
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!  God bless us everyone!

 This is what we got to see and listen to them sing this very significant song to us. Nate was closest to the mike since he was holding the phone, and I gotta say, He has a very nice voice!
 This truly was one of the best Christmas gifts ever and one we will always remember and 
never forget! 
 This is where Lattesha and Phil live. It's in a beautiful area by the river just very primitive.
 Even though this was a very sacred moment, I'm glad we have a picture of it.
She kept saying her hand hurt but we couldn't see anything visibly so we didn't know how to help her. It's a very unsettling feeling. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh we love you and are so grateful to read of your experiences. How sweet those people are. We send our love to all!

    ReplyDelete

Tender Mercies

This will be the last tale I will be recording of our Trinidad Port of Spain Mission. I will begin with the 34 hour travel time to get back ...